[Mesa-dev] Another Take on the S3TC issue

Maxence Le Doré maxence.ledore at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 17:00:14 PDT 2013

Maybe it's time let S3TC go away and think about something else. Like
BPTC. I've started something. Currently, this is very dirty.

Please, take a quick look at this :

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1BiksMm0x0GVjZPZHgyNm0xLVE/edit?usp=sharing

Yeah, I know. Ugly. But it basically works. I can nearly recognize
this beautiful flower, after the original image passes throught an
encoding and a decoding pass.

I preferred to start it as a standalone codec to be sure i'm
concentrating on it (and not the surrounding code of the mesa tree !).
Currently I've just worked on BC7 parts, not BC6H but I may start
soon.

I'll make the encoder-decoder avaible when it will be in better
shapes, on github.

I'm going to improve things before the end of this month. When it will
be more acceptable, I will start porting the standalone codec into the
mesa code (on github again, possibly with many other things regarding
mesa softpipe).