[Mesa-dev] nouveau: xvmc on nv43

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Sat Aug 17 09:25:39 PDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Pali Rohár <pali.rohar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I compiled mesa from git master again and installed kernel 3.11-rc5. After
> that mpeg2play_accel not crashing anymore. It looks like I forgot to install
> mesa with your xvmc patches (only compiled), so I had in system last version.
> So this was probably reason for above NULL pointer crash.

Yes, before my patches all the video stuff was unset, and I guess the
xvmc state tracker doesn't check for things too carefully.

> Anyway, now it not crashing, it show some X window, but only with random
> colors (see attachment of video screenshot). So there is problem with HW
> deconding... Also in dmesg I see this error message every milisecond:
>
> [  179.232807] nouveau E[   PMPEG][0000:05:00.0] ch -1 [0x00000000 unknown]
> 0x01000000 0x00000020 <HEXNUM1> <HEXNUM2>
>
> I tried also vdpau output with mplayer, but this caused instant freeze and
> then Xserver crashed. In dmesg was:

Hm, well vdpau isn't hooked up, so decoder->decode_bitstream is null.
(I tried hooking it all up, but the resulting video was no good, xvmc
ends up doing a bunch of normalization on things, and I guess the
current code doesn't handle some of the conditions.) Of course that
shouldn't cause *X* to crash :(

> [  614.990022] nouveau E[     DRM] GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon
> [  630.096021] nouveau E[Xorg[1751]] failed to idle channel 0xcccc0001
> [Xorg[1751]]
> [  645.096021] nouveau E[Xorg[1751]] failed to idle channel 0xcccc0001
> [Xorg[1751]]
> [  660.096018] nouveau E[Xorg[1751]] failed to idle channel 0xcccc0000
> [Xorg[1751]]
> [  675.096020] nouveau E[Xorg[1751]] failed to idle channel 0xcccc0000
> [Xorg[1751]]
>
> So xvmc not crashing anymore, but not playing video and vdpau cause crashing X

Right, so it sounds like wrt xvmc you have the same issue as the other
person with a NV43 AGP card... everything's working fine, but no
decoding actually happening. I bet those PMPEG interrupt errors have
something to do with it. I'm getting a NV43 PCIE end of next week, so
I'll take a look at it then. FWIW it's (most likely) not a mesa issue,
it's a kernel issue in not setting up the engine properly, or
something. (Not that this helps you at all...)

  -ilia