[Mesa-dev] Gallium3d Documentation

Christopher Corsi ccorsi at g.clemson.edu
Mon Dec 9 16:41:23 PST 2013

Hi All,

I'm currently working on a project for teaching driver development using
virtual machines. We have developed in QEMU a virtual graphics adapter
capable of a reasonable feature set.  Note that because it's used in a
teaching course, it is not very high-performance, as it is designed to look
and act as close to a real device as possible (reasonable bit of overhead,
and internally uses OSMesa). Currently it can do rasterize with T&L,
texturing, bit-blits, and handle a subset of functionality needed for
OpenGL (scissor, blend modes, etc.). Shader support is planned.

Currently we teach the course with the driver being written 100% from
scratch as a character special device and writing user-space libraries
manually. I'd like to move away from that, but I don't have any knowledge
of newer mesa internals (including writing gallium drivers).

Is there any documentation available to help, or if not, what would be the
most basic implementations to look at in the source?

Thanks,
Christopher