[Mesa-dev] Testing optimizer

Patrick Baggett baggett.patrick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 07:57:31 PST 2013

Hi all,

Is there a way to see the machine code that is generated by the GLSL
compiler for all GPU instruction sets? For example, I would like to know if
the optimizer optimizes certain (equivalent) constructs (or not), and avoid
them if possible. I know there is a lot to optimization on GPUs that I
don't know, but I'd still like to get some ballpark estimates. For example,
I'm curious whether:

    //let p1, p2, p3 be vec2 uniforms

    vec4(p1, 0, 0) + vec4(p2, 0, 0) + vec4(p3, 0, 1)

produces identical machine code as:

    vec4(p1+p2+p3, 0, 1);

for all architectures supported by Mesa.