[Mesa-dev] r600g: status of my work on the shader optimization

Andy Furniss andyqos at ukfsn.org
Mon Feb 18 02:20:19 PST 2013

Stefan Seifert wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Amazing work! I see some 50 % speed ups in FlightGear and even more. While
> normally 3D clouds tear performance down to an unflyable stutter, with your
> branch I can fly in densly clouded conditions at usable framerates. I can now
> turn all shaders to maximum and enjoy the view. This makes a huge difference.
>
> Unfortunately there's a downside as well:

Testing with rv790 with drm-fixes kernel not much works -

etqw runs but in a level 50% of screen is junk.

nexuiz menus total junk, didn't test further.

xonotic menus OK but gpu lock on starting timedemo.

vdpau mpeg2 decode - renders 90% junk.

heaven 3.0 (on a different pure 64 bit setup) gpu lock.

Unrelated question wtr heaven 3.0 - does it work properly anyway?

For me running 64bit on rv790 with vanilla mesa with or without llvm I
have to set shaders to medium, on high it works but I get no
lighting/effects. There are also a couple of scenes that render as
flared out black and white.