[Mesa-dev] begin/end and dlists cleanup

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Fri Jan 18 17:17:59 PST 2013

On 01/18/2013 02:30 PM, Eric Anholt wrote:
> I've been irritated by the ASSERT_OUTSIDE_BEGIN_END macro for years -- we have
> dispatch tables, and we can use those to micro-optimize most Mesa entrypoints.
> It turns out we can cut 175 lines of code from doing so, and I suspect we had
> many more places that needed ASSERT_OUTSIDE_BEGIN_END which nobody had
> noticed.
> In the process, since I had to almost understand display lists in Mesa in
> order to be satisfied that this change worked, I found giant piles of other
> code we could remove.
> I found no significant performance difference on GLbenchmark 2.1 offscreen
> (n=8, which is small but the stddev was ~.1%, though for some reason both
> before and after were stuck at 2/3 of the max performance I've seen).
> However, at a net -1361 lines of code and -34k of text segment size on a
> release build, I'm still quite happy with the result.

I've wanted to do this almost as long as I've been working on Mesa... 
but I'm glad I didn't have to. :)  Other than the question in patch 10, 
the series is

Reviewed-by: Ian Romanick <ian.d.romanick at intel.com>

More information about the mesa-dev mailing list