[Mesa-dev] (intel) looking for opinions on how to deal with UMS/CMS differences in ARB_texture_multisample

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed Jan 23 10:32:05 PST 2013

Paul Berry <stereotype441 at gmail.com> writes:

> Cc-ing mesa-dev--I don't want to make this design decision in a vacuum.
>
> For those entering the conversation, the question on the table is how to
> make ARB_texture_multisample deal with the fact that on Gen7, compressed
> (CMS) and non-compressed (UMS or IMS) multisampled surfaces require a
> different set of sampler messages to be used.  My opinion is below.

At first glance, 3) sounds like the easiest first pass, with 2) as the
next option if we think performance of int multisample textures matters.

I would expect sampleinfo to take 150 or so cycles, like textureSize()
does, so it's probably not a good performance idea if we're trying to
optimize multisample texturing.