[Mesa-dev] GS plans?

Paul Berry stereotype441 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 10:44:21 PST 2013

On 29 January 2013 09:33, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> On 01/29/2013 09:02 AM, Brian Paul wrote:
>

>> Hi Bryan,
>>
>> Back in July you announced your work on geometry shaders:
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/**archives/mesa-dev/2012-July/**024792.html<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2012-July/024792.html>
>>
>> But it looks like it hasn't been touched since October.  I was wondering
>> what plans you might have for that.
>>
>> I believe the Intel guys also were planning on tackling GS support in
>> Mesa this year.  Ian, Eric, do you have some idea of when you'll be
>> working on that?  Were you going to use Bryan's work?
>>

> I believe Paul is going to chip away at a bit of it.  I think he's
> planning to use some of Bryan's work.  I believe they've been in contact,
> but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, we have.  It looks like Bryan made a lot of headway before he set the
branch aside in October, so I'm planning to use that as a starting point.
My impression from talking to Bryan is that he doesn't have too much
time/interest to put into geometry shaders these days, so for the moment
I'm planning to take over responsibility for the branch myself.

My first order of business is to write some piglit tests for geometry
shaders, so that I don't have to push anything to Mesa master that isn't
well-tested.  I have an nVidia system that I can use as a reference
platform to make sure my tests are correct.  I also want to spend a little
bit of time prototyping some i965 back-end code just to increase my
familiarity with the problem domain and to find out if i965 hardware has
any sharp corners I need to watch out for.  Once I've done those two
things, my plan is to start rebasing Bryan's patch series onto master and
sending it out for review piece by piece.

Geometry shaders haven't risen to the top of Intel's priority list quite
yet, but they're letting me work on them part-time for now, so progress is
likely to be slow for a while.  I'll keep the mailing list updated as to my
progress.  And I'll try to make sure that major design decisions get
discussed here on the list so that no one gets left out of the loop.

Paul