[Mesa-dev] GS plans?

Bryan Cain bryancain3 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 16:37:29 PST 2013

On 01/29/2013 12:44 PM, Paul Berry wrote:
> On 29 January 2013 09:33, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org
> <mailto:idr at freedesktop.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/29/2013 09:02 AM, Brian Paul wrote:
>

>         Hi Bryan,
>
>         Back in July you announced your work on geometry shaders:
>         http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2012-July/024792.html
>
>         But it looks like it hasn't been touched since October.  I was
>         wondering
>         what plans you might have for that.
>
>         I believe the Intel guys also were planning on tackling GS
>         support in
>         Mesa this year.  Ian, Eric, do you have some idea of when
>         you'll be
>         working on that?  Were you going to use Bryan's work?
>

>     I believe Paul is going to chip away at a bit of it.  I think he's
>     planning to use some of Bryan's work.  I believe they've been in
>     contact, but I'm not 100% sure.
>

> Yes, we have.  It looks like Bryan made a lot of headway before he set
> the branch aside in October, so I'm planning to use that as a starting
> point.  My impression from talking to Bryan is that he doesn't have
> too much time/interest to put into geometry shaders these days, so for
> the moment I'm planning to take over responsibility for the branch myself.
>
> My first order of business is to write some piglit tests for geometry
> shaders, so that I don't have to push anything to Mesa master that
> isn't well-tested.  I have an nVidia system that I can use as a
> reference platform to make sure my tests are correct.  I also want to
> spend a little bit of time prototyping some i965 back-end code just to
> increase my familiarity with the problem domain and to find out if
> i965 hardware has any sharp corners I need to watch out for.  Once
> I've done those two things, my plan is to start rebasing Bryan's patch
> series onto master and sending it out for review piece by piece.

It's true that I don't have too much time/interest to put into geometry
shaders anymore, but before you get to the rebasing part of your plan, I
do hope to have reorganized my the commits from my
geometry-shaders-rebase branch into a more modular form which would be
suitable for review on the mailing list as a patch set.  I've already
started the process of figuring out what this should look like, so if
all goes well it will be ready by the time it's needed.  I'll notify you
(and the mailing list) when it's ready.

Bryan