[Mesa-dev] Gallium pixel formats on big-endian

Christoph Bumiller e0425955 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jan 31 04:02:08 PST 2013

On 31.01.2013 09:30, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mit, 2013-01-30 at 08:35 -0800, Jose Fonseca wrote:

It's a bit tricky, formats with 16 and 32 bpc seem to already have these
components ordered in the host byte order (if the GPU endianness switch
is set to that).
At least I think that has to be the case because we certainly don't
bswap all the vertex data and things work, and that suggests it affects
colours, too, or using vertex buffers as textures wouldn't work.

Formats like B8G8R8A8_UNORM or R5G6B5_UNORM might be treated as a word
by the GPU (not sure, I don't have a BE machine), and thus byte order
could differ between BE and LE.

So RGBA32_UNORM_LE/BE doesn't seem useful (or at least not usable, since
the endian switch usually isn't per RT/texture/vertex buffer/...), and
RGBA8_LE/BE would be confusing, because we have the rule (*) that the
component written to the left resides at a lower address. What would
RGBA8_BE be ? R at lowest address on BE and A at lowest address on LE ?
Just use ABGR8 on LE then.

Otoh, adding G3B5R5G3 (the bswapped version of R5G6B5) would look a bit
awkward, but would be correct gallium terminology on BE if the format is
treated as a 16 bit word. That's probably why they started the
inconsistent naming we had in gallium in the past in the first place.

Maybe we should just define some formats as affected by endianness,
because G3B5R5G3 certainly won't be supported if GPU is set to LE. But
then the rule (*) has to be stated with respect to a specific endianness.
Let me think about that some more ...