[Mesa-dev] [RFC] brw_context + intel_context = <?>

Chad Versace chad.versace at linux.intel.com
Tue Jul 2 12:34:26 PDT 2013

I second Marek's concern. Having intel_context defined differently
in two locations will cause nightmares in editors. It's possible,
but with much pain, to workaround that nightmare in Eclipse, but I'd
rather avoid it.

I dislike  brw_context, because it doesn't match all the other naming
conventions in the driver. Symbols are prefixed with one of
   - intel, for generation-independent code
   - genN, for generation-specific code, perhaps forward-compatible
   - brw, for gen4-specific code, perhaps forward-compatible

If we're going to make the effort to rename everything, we might as well
name things consistently. I don't feel that brw is consistent with the
majority of the codebase. As Eric said, it really does feel archaic.

I vote for gen_context or i965_context, but I won't cry if you choose
brw_context. Just please please please don't choose intel_context.