[Mesa-dev] Geometry shader update, and a course correction

Chad Versace chad.versace at linux.intel.com
Mon Jul 22 15:04:56 PDT 2013

On 07/22/2013 10:42 AM, Paul Berry wrote:
> On 21 July 2013 23:14, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>
>> On 07/19/2013 11:48 AM, Paul Berry wrote:

>> Just going for 3.2 and punting on the extension for now seems like the
>> right way to go, but I also don't want to paint ourselves into a "we have
>> to rearchitect the world" kind of corner. :(
>>

> IMHO we can safely proceed with this plan even
> without that information.  In all likelihood, the only thing we're going to
> learn by answering questions 1 and 2 is whether we need to implement both
> GLSL 1.50 and ARB_geometry_shader4, or just GLSL 1.50.  So in either case
> it makes sense to work on GLSL 1.50 first.

I wholly agree. Let's move forward in implementing 3.2. We need to do that
regardless the outcome of Ian's proposed questions. If additional evidence
comes to light that proves ARB_geometry_shader4 would be useful without
GL 3.2 (which I doubt), then nothing prevents us from implementing that
atop our then-existing support for the 3.2 variant of GS.