[Mesa-dev] How do I start contributing to Mesa?

Benjamin Bellec b.bellec at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 13:08:25 PDT 2013

Le 04/06/2013 21:54, Brian Paul a écrit :
> On 06/04/2013 06:37 AM, Arnas Milaševičius wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> First of all, I'm not sure if it's the right place to ask such a
>> question, but I'll try. I've started learning OpenGL and I really want
>> to contribute to Mesa project, but the way to do it had always been a
>> mistery for me. As a beginner contributor, I still don't understand
>> which bugs should I take, how do I fix em? It's like, you take the bug,
>> but... where the heck do you start fixing it? How do you find the core
>> of the problem? I see many people telling that the best start is to
>> start fixing bugs you have, but atm I don't have any problems that'd
>> bother me.
>
> Probably the easiest bugs to fix are those that fail on assertions or
> crash.  With those you can at least get a stack trace in the debugger
> and get some idea of the code path involved.  With general rendering
> bugs it's often harder to know where to start looking.
>
> Otherwise, which driver are you using or are you interested in?  It's
> sometimes easier to focus on one particular area of mesa (such as a
> driver, or say the GLSL compiler) than to try to understand everything.
>

>> So, could anyone point me to the right direction? Maybe share your
>> experience, how did you start, what do you do when you start fixing bugs
>> and how should I fix em as a beginner, etc?
>
> Again, if there's a particular of area of interest to you, start
> there.  Read the source code.  If you find the comments lacking, post
> patches to improve the comments as you figure things out.
>
> There's a terribly out-dated helpwanted.html file in the docs
> directory which was intended to list things to be worked on.  It would
> probably be better if were more active in creating Bugzilla entries
> for to-do items that we'd like to do but don't always have time for.
> I'm sure we could come up with some easier things for newbies.  I
> could probably come up with 1 or 2 things pretty quickly...
Hello,

I also think that it would be very interesting for beginners (like me)
that experimented mesa developpers writes some easy (even trivial!) TODO
things on the wiki (for instance
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/R600ToDo/) or elsewhere. Tasks that you
(as experimented) consider very easy, "useless" or with very low
priority... for beginners these kind of tasks could already be a hard
work to begin with.

Regards.

Benjamin