[Mesa-dev] [RFC] OES_external_image for i965

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Mar 4 06:56:34 PST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 4:55 AM, Pohjolainen, Topi
<topi.pohjolainen at intel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 10:03:45AM -0500, Kristian H?gsberg wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Pohjolainen, Topi
>> <topi.pohjolainen at intel.com> wrote:

>> > It certainly looks good addressing not only the individual plane setup but
>> > allowing one to control also the conversion coefficients and subsampling
>> > position.
>> > Coming from piglit testing point of view, do you have any ideas where to
>> > allocate the buffers from? I guess people wouldn't be too happy seeing v4l2 tied
>> > into piglit, for example.
>>
>> SInce you're already using intel specific ioctls to mmap the buffers,
>> I'd suggest you just go all the way and allocate using intel specific
>> ioctls (like my simple-yuv.c example).  I don't really see any other
>> approach, but it's not pretty...
>>

> I used gbm buffer objects in order to match the logic later in
> 'dri2_drm_create_image_khr()' which expects the buffer to be of the type
> 'gbm_dri_bo' (gbm_bo) for the target EGL_NATIVE_PIXMAP_KHR. Giving drm buffer
> objects instead would require new target, I guess?

Right... I'd use the extension Tom suggests:

http://www.khronos.org/registry/egl/extensions/EXT/EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import.txt

which is mostly implemented by this patch:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2013-February/035429.html

with just the EGL extension bits missing.  That way, you're also not
dependent on any specific window system.  As it is your test has to
run under gbm, using the dmabuf import extension it can run under any
window system.

Kristian