[Mesa-dev] [RFC] OES_external_image for i965

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Mar 4 07:55:07 PST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Pohjolainen, Topi
<topi.pohjolainen at intel.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 09:56:34AM -0500, Kristian H?gsberg wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 4:55 AM, Pohjolainen, Topi
>> <topi.pohjolainen at intel.com> wrote:

>> > I used gbm buffer objects in order to match the logic later in
>> > 'dri2_drm_create_image_khr()' which expects the buffer to be of the type
>> > 'gbm_dri_bo' (gbm_bo) for the target EGL_NATIVE_PIXMAP_KHR. Giving drm buffer
>> > objects instead would require new target, I guess?
>>
>> Right... I'd use the extension Tom suggests:
>>
>> http://www.khronos.org/registry/egl/extensions/EXT/EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import.txt
>>
>> which is mostly implemented by this patch:
>>
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2013-February/035429.html
>>
>> with just the EGL extension bits missing.  That way, you're also not
>> dependent on any specific window system.  As it is your test has to
>> run under gbm, using the dmabuf import extension it can run under any
>> window system.
>
> Just to clarify that I understood correctly. The actual creation of the buffer
> (and dma_buf exporting) would still be via hardware specific ioctls (in intel's
> case GEM)? Your and Tom's material address only the importing side, or did I
> miss something?

Yes, that's correct.  You'll need intel create and export to fd
functions, but you are already mapping the bo using intel specific
ioctls.  So I think it's cleaner to just have a chipset specific
function to create the bo and return an fd, stride etc, and from there
on it's generic code where you feed it into the dma_buf_import
function.

Kristian