[Mesa-dev] Improved Patch review using Gerrit

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed May 8 13:33:37 PDT 2013

Christoph Brill <egore911 at egore911.de> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm trying to follow the patches and patchsets sent to mesa-dev and
> really like the process of how they get reviewed. It's a good way of
> catching bugs before they get committed. But currently this approach
> has a downside (at least for me): It's easy to miss a patch and
> happens from time to time to others as well (see
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2013-May/039178.html )
>
> Has anyone thought about using Gerrit for code reviews (like done for
> Libreoffice at https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/ )? I like the way it
> integrates with git and might be a good idea to use for mesa-dev (and
> maybe even dri-devel) as well.

Yeah, we've thought about it, and even asked fdo admins to install a
jenkins setup for continuous integration as a prelude to possibly
putting in gerrit to get testing along with the review process.  The
major downside to gerritt that I see is the loss of offline reviewing of
patches, which is how I do basically all my patch review.