[Mesa-dev] A simple GLES2 shader application performance slower with h/w renderer

Divick Kishore divick.kishore at gmail.com
Thu May 16 04:37:12 PDT 2013

Hi,
    I have a simple GLES2 based application which does not do much in
the either of the vertex and fragment shaders. It simply draws a
rotating spiral made from a simple triangle strip. When I try to run
this application using the mesa with h/w renderer, it gives me a
performance which is almost = 60 fps consistently.

I saw this happening with glxgears application as well but after
setting vblank_mode=0 I see the performance of glxgears with h/w
rendering is much much faster than llvm based s/w renderer. But for
the shader based application I still see that performance remains
constant at 60fps.

The renderer reported with h/w:

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

This is the default mesa installed on my debian machine.

The renderer reported with llvm base s/w renderer:

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)

This is self compiled mesa.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks & Regards,
Divick