[Mesa-dev] rules for merging patches to libdrm

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 07:23:30 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:17:47AM -0500, Rob Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Thierry Reding
> <thierry.reding at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Then in all honestly, commits to libdrm should be controlled by either a
> >> single person or a small cabal... just like the kernel and the xserver.
> >>  We're clearly in an uncomfortable middle area where we have a stringent
> >> set of restrictions but no way to actually enforce them.
> >
> > That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. It obviously causes more work
> > for whoever will be the gatekeeper(s).
> >
> > It seems to me that libdrm is currently more of a free-for-all type of
> > project, and whoever merges some new feature required for a particular X
> > or Mesa driver cuts a new release so that the version number can be used
> > to track the dependency.
> >
> > I wonder if perhaps tying the libdrm releases more tightly to Linux
> > kernel releases would help. Since there already is a requirement for new
> > kernel APIs to be merged before the libdrm equivalent can be merged,
> > then having both release cycles in lockstep makes some sense.
>
> Not sure about strictly tying it to kernel releases would be ideal.
> Not *everything* in libdrm is about new kernel APIs.  It tends to be
> the place for things needed both by xorg ddx and mesa driver, which I
> suppose is why it ends up a bit of a free-for-all.

I didn't mean that every release would need to be tied to the Linux
kernel. But whenever a new Linux kernel release was made, relevant
changes from the public headers could be pulled into libdrm and a
release be made. I could even imagine a matching of version numbers.
libdrm releases could be numbered using the same major and minor as
Linux kernels that they support. Micro version numbers could be used
in intermediate releases.

> Maybe limiting who does releases would be sufficient.  Unless there is
> someone with enough free time and energy to volunteer to be libdrm
> maintainer.
>
> But tbh I don't think it has been too much of a problem in the past.
> I'm not sure if I actually read somewhere the rule about not updating
> kernel headers until the interface is locked in (ie. drm-next), but it
> seemed like common sense to me.  Could be enough just to document this
> a bit more explicitly.

It's not something I feel very strongly about. People seemed unhappy
about the current state of affairs, so I thought I'd dump a few ideas.
=)

Thierry