[Mesa-dev] rules for merging patches to libdrm

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Tue Nov 19 07:04:33 PST 2013

For merging the patches for new hardware and/or features I agree on the
process of merging things bottom up. (e.g kernel first, then libdrm,
mesa last). But to give reasons for the merge into Linus tree it's
usually better to have a "big picture" you can validate the code against.

So I think the very first step should be to publish everything on the
appropriate lists, and not try an approach like releasing the kernel
code first and waiting for it to show up upstream and then try to
release the userspace code build on top of it.

I had this situation a couple of times where "management" people wanted
to release things bit by bit to "speed things up" and it always took me
a bit of time to explain that this wouldn't work in the open source
world (at least not with the Linux kernel).

Christian.