[Mesa-dev] Feasibility of KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image in mesa/gallium

Ryan Morris ryanmorris500 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 07:29:41 PST 2013

Thanks for the replies. I think my main question (feasibility) has been
answered in the negative.

As Marek says, resource_from_handle only works for 2D non-mipmapped
pipe_resources for the radeon driver. This seems to be the same for svga
driver also.  Even if more drivers were supporting mipmapped textures,
cubemap, etc in resource_from_handle, this doesn't seem to be enough.  I've
tried simply referencing a cubemap pipe_resource in a 2D gl_texture (+
ensuring that st_finalize_texture doesn't clobber the pipe_resource), and
then setting up a sampler_view to limit the layer/face, but this does not
seem to be handled correctly (by the svga driver at least). But I'm not
sure if that's even a correct intended use-case.  From Marek and Roland's
comments (about needing a target override in the sampler_view), it sounds
like it is not a valid use-case.

Sticking with the example of a cubemap face being reinterpreted as a
single-layer 2d texture, and supposing that a target override is added to
pipe_sampler_view. If that was done, then I'm supposing that the underlying
pipe_resource would be a cubemap type which is attached 2d gl_texture.
st_finalize_texture wouldn't like this, as it wants to enforce strict
matching between pipe_resource parameters and gl_texture/image parameters.
But I suppose such complications could be bypassed with some different
logic for egl image target textures.
Why might there be a need to do a resource_from_handle if there's a target
override in the pipe_sampler_view?