[Mesa-dev] Mesa (master): i965/fs: Convert gen7 to using GRFs for texture messages.

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Oct 11 21:18:26 CEST 2013

Chia-I Wu <olvaffe at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
> The frame rate of Unigine Tropics (with low shader quality) dropped
> from 40.8 to 23.5 after this change.

Thanks for the note.  I see the regression as well, and I see a shader
that's started spilling.  It looks like we can drop the regs_written <=
1 check on gen7+'s pre-regalloc scheduling to fix the problem (the MRF
setup thing is no longer an issue, and its presence is now making us
pessimize instead of optimize in general in the pre-regalloc
scheduling).  I'll want to run a few more tests to make sure that this
doesn't regress something else.

This shader is also in bad shape now that we don't have the redundant
MRF move optimization, and we need to look into grf_size > 1 CSE.  That
would probably also have avoided the problem on this shader, though the
scheduling problem is more general than this one shader.