[Mesa-dev] RFC: LLVM, -fno-rtti, and Haiku

Francisco Jerez currojerez at riseup.net
Fri Oct 11 21:23:10 CEST 2013

Kenneth Graunke <kenneth at whitecape.org> writes:

> On 10/11/2013 11:45 AM, Francisco Jerez wrote:
>> Kenneth Graunke <kenneth at whitecape.org> writes:

>>> Which would be fine for Mesa (except maybe on Haiku), since all of our
>>> usage of C++ is internal and we don't expose /any/ C++ API.  Nor should we.
>>>
>>> It looks like Clover uses RTTI.  Nothing else does, and I'd like to keep
>>> it that way.
>>>

>> Clover has a legitimate reason to do so -- and it's not the only user
>> BTW, the nv50 compiler and 'src/gtest' seem to use it too.  Anyway, even
>> if we don't use RTTI internally, building with -fno-rtti is a bad idea,
>> because it makes interfacing with other C++ projects extremely
>> difficult.
>
> You mean LLVM?  My point is that Mesa does *not* interface with other
> C++ projects.  It's an OpenGL library that exposes a 100% C API.  It
> doesn't make *sense* to interface with other C++ projects.
>
>> It can also cause problems in cases where we don't expose any C++ API
>> ourselves and we are mere users of some C++ library -- like the Haiku
>> system libraries or LLVM (IIRC even LLVM recommends distributions *not*
>> to use -fno-rtti in their builds because of the ABI issues).  I don't
>> see the point of making our internal C++ ABI deliberately non-standard,
>> it's likely to give us more headaches for little or no benefit...
>
> If it's necessary for LLVM, then I guess that trumps the overhead of
> having to compile with RTTI.  But I know even LLVM reimplemented
> dynamic_cast<> to avoid the cost of RTTI.

On a side note, it's always seemed quite funny to me that they did.  The
cost of run time type identification using typeid() is negligible on
modern C++ compilers (including Clang), as it can be optimized out to a
pointer comparison, and the cost of a dynamic_cast<> is comparable to
the cost of a virtual function call in most cases.

I'm aware that this hasn't always been the case historically, but it's
funny that they designed based on that as they were writing a compiler
and they could've just fixed what was mostly an implementation
issue... :)