[Mesa-dev] Core Profile and extension strings question

Courtney Goeltzenleuchter courtney at lunarg.com
Tue Oct 22 18:00:06 CEST 2013

I'm curious about what the proper behavior should be for extensions that
have been integrated into core. In particular I'm looking at
ARB_texture_cube_map as we are using that in one of the ARB_texture_view
piglit tests and when run on the Mesa driver the piglit
function piglit_require_extension("GL_ARB_texture_cube_map") fails.

Running with MESA_INFO on I see:
Mesa: Mesa GL_VERSION = 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.3.0-devel (git-0398dd3)
Mesa: Mesa GL_RENDERER = Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Server
Mesa: Mesa GL_VENDOR = Intel Open Source Technology Center
Mesa: Mesa GL_EXTENSIONS does not contain ARB_texture_cube_map

When we run the same test on the NVIDIA closed source driver the test does
find an ARB_texture_cube_map extension. It also is given a compatibility
context and not a Core Profile context.

The spec says that deprecated features may not be available in  newer Core
Profiles. ARB_texture_cube_map has not been deprecated, it's been promoted
into core. According to the OpenGL Spec:

H.3.2
Promoting Extensions to Core Features
Extensions can be promoted to required core features in later revisions of
OpenGL.
When this occurs, the extension specifications are merged into the core
specifica-
tion. Functions and enumerants that are part of such promoted extensions
will have
the ARB, KHR, EXT, or vendor affix removed.
I*mplementations of such later revisions should continue to export the name*
*strings of promoted extensions in the EXTENSIONS strings and continue to
support*
*the affixed versions of functions and enumerants as a transition aid.*
For descriptions of extensions promoted to core features in OpenGL 1.3 and
beyond, see the corresponding version of the OpenGL specification, or the
de-
scriptions of that version in version-specific appendices to later versions
of the
specification.

This says to me that the Mesa driver should be listing
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map in it's extension string. So, why isn't it there?
What am I missing?

What should the piglit test do?
Is this going to be a compatibility issue for applications?

Thanks,
Courtney

--
Courtney Goeltzenleuchter