[Mesa-dev] The long way to a faster build with shared libs and some fixes ...

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Thu Sep 12 00:44:58 PDT 2013

On 09/11/2013 11:41 PM, Christian König wrote:
> I completely agree.
>
> Building everything shared might speed up the build process a little bit
> and save some space, but for the cost of having to handle allot of
> rather small shared libraries where which each clashing the symbol space
> of any application using these drivers with a bunch of unnecessary symbols.
>
> Building everything as one big blob sounds like the better idea.
>
> Christian.

Not to mention...installing a ton of shared libraries is just asking for
version mismatch problems.  I've had a /ton/ of problems due to
mismatching libdricore and i965_dri.so...usually due to rpath shenanigans.

If anything, I'd like to get rid of libdricore and build core Mesa and
the drivers together again.  No more version clashes.  Far fewer symbols
exported.  LTO for extra performance with no extra effort...

Faster build times are nice, but...not if it means shipping a ton of
shared libraries...

--Ken