[Mesa-dev] Documentation: VBO module

Rogovin, Kevin kevin.rogovin at intel.com
Mon Sep 30 01:49:57 PDT 2013

Hello all,

  I've started my attack run on trying to give an overview of Mesa; I have found that so far most of the code is either well documented or the code intent is so clear that it is self documenting. However, the documentation (atleast what I have attacked so far) lacks, for lack of a better word, an index by subject.

I've generated some doxygen files to make source browsing mostly workable from a browser from doxygen output. In particular fast navigation of files and sources to poke around quickly (various IDE's or various editors with extensions have this ability as well, but the doxygen output also obeys the doxygen headers that are in the code). I've modified common.doxy for this purpose and generated an all.doxy. The ick about generating separate doxyruns for different modules is that:

  1.  In order for cross-linking to work, tag files must be generated which essentially forces doxygen to be run twice. Making it fully parallelize is possible (the current makefile lets the tag be generated in parrallel but not the final outputs), but a kind of hacky mess
  2.  Calling graphs, i.e. lists of what functions call what functions does not work across separate doxygen runs.

So, all.doxy runs all the files. The file common.doxy is modified to generate source browsing and other little extras too. The main drawback is that running doxygen takes time, too much time really. The files all.doxy and common.doxy should be placed in doxygen and the files with extension doxy_text should be placed in doxygen/doxy_text.

I've made an overview of src/mesa/vbo, the text is in the file vbo.doxy_text. I would greatly appreciate feedback, especially corrections and suggestions to points that should be added.

-Kevin