[Mesa-dev] Mesa 10.2 release plan strawman

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Mon Apr 7 05:59:13 PDT 2014

On 04/04/2014 05:52 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>> Fast forwarding 3 months from the 10.1 release (March 4th, planned for
>> February 28th) is May 30th.  I'd like to propose the following set of dates:
>>
>> May 2nd: Feature freeze / 10.2 branch created.
>>
>> May 16th: RC1
>
> Same comment as last time. It's not clear to me that we need a week
> between the branch and RC1. We're not going to get users testing the
> branch until there's an RC that distros can offer.

The thinking behind having some gap is that a lot of people don't change
from feature work to bug fixing until the branch is made.  There are
usually a bunch of bug fixes landed right after the branch is made...
there's also often a bunch of... chaos right before the branch is made.
 Having an RC that doesn't build, has lot of known bugs, etc is useless.
 Having a time gap between features landing and making RC1 allows things
to settle down a bit.

I thought your complaint before was that a week wasn't long enough.
That's why I bumped it to two weeks this time.  I guess I must have
misunderstood the concern.