[Mesa-dev] Mesa 10.2 release plan strawman

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Apr 11 10:07:41 PDT 2014

Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> writes:

> On 04/07/2014 03:27 PM, Eric Anholt wrote:
>> Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> writes:

>>> What's the point of having an RC is that is complete garbage?  If you
>>> can explain that to me, I will do the work of creating it.  Otherwise,
>>> I'll just skip the pointless busywork kthanks.
>>
>> Mesa master runs for me almost all the time, and I haven't experienced
>> Mesa master being any less likely to run right around the branchpoints.
>> So, I disagree with you saying that not delaying would produce a garbage
>> RC.
>
> That doesn't match my experience doing the last 5+ Mesa releases, but we
> can try it and see.  There's always a bunch of work that lands in the
> last week before the branch that introduce regressions in some drivers
> or build breaks for some other Mesa developers.
>
> I feel pretty strongly about have 4 weeks between the branch and the
> release.  We generally don't even start looking at bugs until the
> branch, and less than a month means that difficult bugs are unlikely to
> get resolved.  The extra day or two of lag in the review -> master ->
> stable-branch progression is also a factor.  On 10.1 we had a number of
> fairly important fixes that just missed the release.

4 weeks is fine to me.  It's not like having a stable branch is
disruptive to development these days.  I just want to make sure that
once we're working on making a release, we're getting a tarball into
distro's hands so they can start getting bug reports in to us.

> A 1 week cadence for RCs would result in 4 RCs.  That seems somewhat
> excessive.  Do you have a suggestion for RC pacing?

Seems fine to me.  If making an RC tarball takes more than half an hour
(because a piglit run is like 20 minutes), that should get fixed (so
this shouldn't be a big burden).