[Mesa-dev] The way r600g handles shaders that use more than available GPRs

Marcello Maggioni hayarms at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 16:30:37 PDT 2014

Hello,

I realized while playing Diablo III on my machine that some shaders seem to
run out of available GPRs using r600g with my Macbook Pro with a HD6750m.
If the driver tries to do something to handle this case, but I couldn't
find any part inside the code that has to do with "spilling".

There are some register related passes in SB, but none seems to be related
to possible spilling (anyway, the failing I get is in r600_shader.c:2148
inside "r600_shader_from_tgsi()" which makes shader compiling failing
altogether skipping SB).

How does r600g handle out of register situations? If it doesn't there are
plans to add this?

Cheers,
Marcello