[Mesa-dev] DRI3, i965_dri.so, and explicit fences

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Tue Dec 9 14:53:29 PST 2014

Okay... forgive my ignorance about this topic.

It's my understanding that the ability to use explicit fences in Present
exists to support GPUs like those from NVIDIA that have multiple
rendering rings.  On those GPUs, some mechanism is needed to synchronize
across the rings so that rendering is finished on one ring before the
other ring tries to present it.

Assuming that's the case, is it also safe to assume that we're not going
to do that in the i965 driver for the foreseeable future?  If that is
the case, is there somewhere in the driver code that we could document
that?  I really haven't been following DRI3 (I know, shame on me), and
looking at the patches that have landed, it's not obvious where in
src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965 such documentation would live.