[Mesa-dev] Flatland

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Fri Feb 7 10:06:19 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 05:20:12PM +0100, Christian König wrote:
> [...]
> >>          */
> >>         glsl_type *type;
> >>     } reg_or_type; /* this name is kinda ugly but couldn't think of
> >>anything better. */
> >>};
> >>
> >>/*
> >>  * This is Ian's name for it, personally I would vote for
> >>s/ir_instruction/ir_node/ and
> >>  * call this ir_instruction
> >>  */
> >>
> >>class ir_calculation
> >>{
> >>     ir_calc_dest dest;
> >>     ir_expression_operation op;
> >>     unsigned write_mask : 4;
> >>     ir_calc_source srcs[4];
> >>};
> >>
> >>class ir_load_var
> >>{
> >>     ir_calc_dest dest;
> >>     ir_variable *src;
> >>
> >>     /**
> >>      * For array and record loads, whether we're loading a specific
> >>member or the whole
> >>      * thing.
> >>      */
> >>     bool deref_member;
> >>     ir_calc_source array_index; /** < for array loads if
> >>deref_array_index is true */
> >>     char *record_index; /** < for structure loads */
> >>};
> >>
> >>class ir_store_var
> >>{
> >>     ir_variable *dest;
> >>     ir_calc_source src;
> >>     bool deref_member;
> >>     ir_calc_source array_index; /** < for array loads */
> >>     char *record_index; /** < for structure loads */
> >>     unsigned write_mask : 4;
> >>};
> >>
> >>So ir_variable still exists, but it will only be used for function
> >>parameters, shader in/outs and uniforms, and arrays and structures.
> >>Registers will be much more lightweight, only requiring a table with
> >>each register's type and perhaps uses and definitions. The flattening
> >>pass, and later ast_to_hir, will emit loads and stores wherever there
> >>is an ir_dereference now, but there will be an ir_variable -> register
> >>pass that converts these to moves that will later be eliminated by
> >>copy propagation (in SSA form, after converting the registers to SSA
> >>writes). This is similar to how LLVM works, with everything starting
> >>out allocated on the stack using alloca (equivalent to ir_variables
> >>here) and accessed explicitly using loads and stores, but then some of
> >>these loads/stores are optimized out.
> >>
> >What about just moving to llvm directly?  We already use it for
> >compute/OpenCL on gallium and as the shader compiler for radeon
> >hardware and llvmpipe.
>
> That was discussed in the talk as well. LLVM would be a good choice
> for this, the only problem is that they have no stable API.
>
> I'm currently thinking about if it isn't possible to make llvm-c
> stable and reliable enough to be used for this, but this is rather
> something we would need to discuss with the LLVM folks as well.

Only the C++ API is unstable, the C API is considered stable and
should never change.  The C API only gives you access to a subset
of the LLVM functionality, so you may not be able to do everything
you want with it, but it exposes enough to create an LLVM IR
program and run all of the generic LLVM optimizations on it.  There's
probably even enough there to let you write simple optimization passes
too.

There is only a very small part of gallivm that is using the C++ API.
The rest of Mesa uses the C API.

-Tom