[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Code de-duplication across classic mesa/gallium

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 07:39:30 PST 2014

Hello list,

As you already know with the inception of gallium a lot of the classic
mesa code was copied over to gallium/auxiliary for multitude of reasons.

Recently I came across a handful of cases where classic mesa has become
more robust while gallium is still in the mist (and vice versa).

Considering the lack of divergence should we get those back together or
are we going to continue ad-hoc patching?

Taking into account our lovely build systems and the function names
used, there are a few things to consider:

* files location - concentrate new location (eg. src/common)
* naming convention - the gallium seems more consistent and reasonable

IHMO the above two yeld the following
Pros
* clear boundaries of what is done
* less of a build chaos in the long term
Cons
* some initial work needs to be done for all build systems :\

How do you feel on the subject ?

Cheers,
Emil