[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Build testing, wine style

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 11:45:43 PST 2014

On 13/01/14 18:47, Tom Stellard wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 03:53:58PM +0000, Emil Velikov wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> While going though mesa's build systems I was wondering what it would
>> take to improve the overall experience of build testing.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is a more centralised solution similar to
>> the one used by wine [1]. Having buildbots test every patch what is send
>> to the ML [2] :)
>>
>> I'm sure that some companies/organisations may have similar
>> infrastructure but I was thinking what is the possibility of having a
>> more open/shared experience, thus one does not need to test the same
>> environment/setup across multiple bots.
>>
>> Here are a couple of nice words for each build system that mesa has:
>>
>> * automake - tons of many build variations, most of which handled by
>> debian/ubuntu, fedora and suse build systems.
>>
>> * scons - less build variations, mainly used for non-public
>> state-trackers and/or drivers
>>
>> * android - possibly the most painful one out there (IMHO), 10GiB code
>> cloned a ton of libraries build and alot more that fair rather randomly :\
>>
>> Kind of wondering what it would take to have such a feature and if
>> people will see benefits from it.
>
> Hi Emil,
>
> I've been playing around with buildbot, and I even had a local one doing
> Mesa builds a few weeks ago.  I just need to find a dedicated machine so
> I can have it running full-time.
>
> For me, I'm mostly interested in using buildbot for piglit testing,
> but I think it would also be useful to catch build breakages for the
> various configurations people care about.

Indeed piglit testing would be great as well, considering it does not
lockup the machine :\
My idea was "get it compiling first and then piglit test it", as the
former can be done virtually any type of machine unlike the latter.

> I still don't understand the whole master/slave relationship of buildbot,
> so I'm not sure what kind of centralized resources would be needed, but
> maybe if someone would volunteer to maintain it we could use some of the fdo
> resources for hosting buildbot.
>
> You also may want to take a look at tinderbox.x.org, which already does
> some build testing.  I prefer buildbot mainly because I was unable to find
> very much documentation for tinderbox, but it might be worth looking at.

To be honest I did not find much documentation about tinderbox either.
What I've noticed is that openSUSE Build Service offers a "drop the
distro specific build script here" approach while handling all major
distributions. Scons and Android builds are still a bit of a mist though.

Thanks for the input Tom, I'll need to take a look at
tinderbox/buildbot/obs more closely.

Emil