[Mesa-dev] GlassyMesa Announcement

John Kessenich johnk at lunarg.com
Tue Jun 10 19:10:31 PDT 2014

Hi Tom,

On 6/10/2014 12:03 PM, Tom Stellard wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 01:24:39PM -0700, Greg Fischer wrote:
>> LunarG, with support from Valve, announces the GlassyMesa project, an
>> effort to bring the LLVM compiler infrastructure to Mesa.
> This is very interesting.  Have you done any testing with any of the
> Gallium drivers?

No, we have not yet tested other paths, but we are interested in
ensuring they work.

> How difficult would it be to bypass the LLVM IR -> GLSL IR -> TGSI
> conversion and pass LLVM IR directly to drivers like radeonsi which
> already use LLVM?

Ideally (from a technical perspective), we'd like to skip going through
GLSL IR; it's a higher-level language than LLVM IR and we suspect it's
more efficient in the long run to push LLVM IR lower into the stack.
The conventions for LLVM-IR usage are a bit different between LunarGLASS
and radeonsi, but the worst case of transforming LunarGLASS-LLVM-IR ->
radeonsi-LLVM-IR should be far more efficient than going through lots of
different representations.  We'll look deeper at radeonsi and get a more
concrete answer.

Our current use of GLSL IR has two key advantages: it allows more
expedient comparison of the middle ends by leveraging the existing back
end, and ongoing it makes the Glassy middle end available to the other
back ends.

> What are you plans for getting this upstream into Mesa?

We're proceeding with getting a fuller technical characterization of
GlassyMesa, as well as discussing broadly in the community, to help
decide what's best for Mesa, and form recommendations from there.

Thanks for you interest,
JohnK