[Mesa-dev] [RFC 00/20] shader compiler cache

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Wed Jun 11 17:41:48 PDT 2014

I've been looking at this is a bit since last week, and I have some
concerns about the overall way things are structured.  There are also
almost no checks that the values being de-serialized are valid.  What
happens if an ir_expression::operation is 0xDEADBEEF?  I think I know
where we want to be for performance and maintainability, but I'm not
100% how to get there from here.

What follows is some stream-of-conciousness rambling on the topic...

We really want to have 3 operations associated with each piece of IR:

1. Convert the IR to a blob of bits.

2. Validate that a blob of bits is valid.  This should at least validate
that all the individual values are sane (e.g., the operation of a
ir_expression), and it should probably also detect more fine detail
errors (e.g., if the operation of an ir_expression is a binary
operation, there must be exactly two operands).

3. Convert the blob of bits back to an IR object.

Each of these operations should be implemented separately (e.g., in
different functions), and, ideally, each set of 3 things that operate on
one kind of IR object would be in one patch... so that it's easier to
review.

Having these separate but grouped in a logical way should make it easier
to maintain when the IR changes.  If someone changes an IR object or
adds a new one, it should be pretty obvious which functions in the
serializer they need to modify or add.

My current thinking is that each kind of thing that is serialized (user
defined type, strings, and instructions) should be grouped together.
During reading and writing, these would get stored in a table.  The blob
of bits will then just contain table offsets.

This means that we'd want to emit instructions from the tree IR
bottom-up.  So for a tree like

       +
     /   \
    *     -
   / \   / \
  a   b c   d

we'd emit the derefs of a and b first (to be stored in the table at
locations N and N+1), then the multiply would reference table locations
N and N+1 (and be stored at location N+2).  Then the derefs of c and d
first (to be stored in the table at locations N+3 and N+4), then the
subtract would reference table locations N+3 and N+4 (and be stored at
location N+5).  Finally, the add would reference locations N+2 and N+5
(and be stored at location N+6).

All of this bottom-up processing of the IR tree should be done using an
ir_hierarchical_visitor.  Duplicating the traversal logic with the
serialization logic is a maintainence problem (in addition to
duplicating code).

Things that have a list of instructions (ir_function, ir_if, etc.) would
just have a count and a list of indices.  Maybe have the list of indices
also end with a special sentinel so that various kinds of corruption
(length being too large or small, list corrupted, etc.) can be detected.

During reading, the table would contain a pointer to an IR object and a
flag.  The flag is initially false, and it is set to true when the IR
object is used.  If something tries to use a table entry with the flag
already true, generate an error.  Some special handling of ir_variable
is needed.  An ir_dereference_variable can only use an ir_varible that
has the flag true.

If the different things (strings, types, and instructions) are stored in
that order, the reader could make a single pass over the buffer, and
conversion should be very efficient.  Instead of having an explicit
string table, maybe just store offsets into the string buffer.  You'd
want checks that offset-1 is a nul (so store a nul at the beginning of
the buffer) and offset is inside the table.  We could optimize the table
so that variable names "foo" only appear once in the table, but that can
be a future optimization if we ever care.

Each of the individual instruction blobs should have a structure
associated with them.  Then we can just

    const blob_expression *eb = (blob_expression *) ptr;

    if (!blob_validate(eb, some other data))
        return fail;

    ptr += sizeof(blob_expression);

    instruction_table[i++] =
        blob_create_expression(eb, some other data);

Maybe blob_create_* should return the next pointer location too.  Dunno.