[Mesa-dev] Broadcom VC4 project

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed Jun 18 00:28:23 PDT 2014

To those who have been curious what I was up to: I wasn't sure when I
could announce my new projecct, I just got the ack day before yesterday,
and I've been a little busy.

I'm working toward building a Mesa driver for Broadcom VC4 (aka
Raspberry Pi).  At the moment I'm still bringing up the DRM side of
things, but I hope to be doing bits of userspace in the next few days.
Current status is I have a skeleton DRM KMS driver that's going to talk
to the firmware for modesetting, and now I'm starting on the execution
side of things.

I'm probably going to start out doing a gallium driver for simplicity,
to avoid having to do all the DRI crap we've got in brw_context.c and
texture miptree validation and getting user data into VBOs and all that
other almost-boilerplate.  Long term I may end up switching to classic
so I can get swrast fallbacks and the ability to implement single-copy
manually-tiled TexImage uploads like.  For now I want to get to drawing
triangles as soon as I can.

Major thanks go to Simon Hall, whose port of the 2708 android driver
code drop is what I've been using as a reference for how the 3D engine
commands are submitted.