[Mesa-dev] Static/shared pipe-drivers (was megadriver/pipe-loader-to-all)

Chia-I Wu olvaffe at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 07:07:06 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:56 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> These patches add support for building (grouping) the various targets per
>>> API, meaning that only one library will be created  for e.g. vdpau
>>> (libvdpau_gallium) with individual ones (libvdpau_r600) being a hardlink
>>> to it.
>>>
>>> This allows us to have substantial space savings as the API(state-tracker)
>>> is available only once. Additionally it adds support for shared
>>> pipe-drivers via a _unstable_ interface, which saves us the duplication
>>> across X APIs.
>>>
>>> The former method has been used by the egl-static while the latter by
>>> opencl and gbm targets since they were introduced.
>>>
>>> By default we build with "static pipe-drivers".
>>>
>>> Some numbers + extra info [1]
>>>
>>> [Static]
>>> dri:            (r600|radeonsi|nouveau)_dri.so       -> 6.5 MiB
>>> vdpau:          libvdpau_(r600|radeonsi|nouveau).so  -> 3.5 MiB
>>>
>>> Total: 10MiB
>>>
>>> [Shared]
>>> Libraries:
>>> dri:            (r600|radeonsi|nouveau)_dri.so       -> 3.9 MiB
>>> vdpau:          libvdpau_(r600|radeonsi|nouveau).so  -> 633 KiB
>>> gallium-pipe:   pipe_(r600|radeonsi|nouveau).so      -> 5.3 MiB
>>>
>>> Total: 9.8MiB
>>>
>>> [Current]
>>> dri:            (r600|radeonsi|nouveau)_dri.so       -> 5.0+4.5+5.3 = 14.8 MiB
>>> vdpau:          libvdpau_(r600|radeonsi|nouveau).so  -> 1.9+1.2+2.3 = 5.4 MiB
>>>
>>> Total: 20.2MiB
>>>

>>> The previous series can be found here [2]
>>> Changes since then
>>>  - Convert targets individually.
>>>  - OMX targets now work, and the final library is now libomx-mesa.so
>>>  - Dropped the DRI targets for now
>>>  - A handfull of typos thinkos and bugs fixed.
>>>

>>> My plan is to have these pushed in ~4 stages, with two stages per week.
>>> This way I will be able to crack on with the remaining bits and have all
>>> of it tested well before we branch the next release.
>>>
>>> Series is availabe at
>>> https://github.com/evelikov/Mesa/tree/static-or-shared-pipe-drivers
>>>
>>> As always comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks for working on this.  This is a tough issue to tackle.  I have
>> a few questions/comments, which I am fine to see them resolved either
>> before or after landing your series.
>>
>> I see this work as to define an internal API to manage pipe drivers.
> Interesting, I do not see this as an attempt to define an API, but to
> cleanup all the mayhem that our targets currently are:
>  * Cleanup the build system - drop symlinks, including the same source
> files from different locations.
>  * Make targets less error prone by using static pipe-drivers by
> default. Shared ones we lack versioning and ... are a big can of
> worms.
>  * Minimize all the target.c duplication across each target. Makefiles
The reason that the state trackers can manage statically linked pipe
drivers, or the duplications in target.c can be killed is because of
the introduction of an API (inline_drm_helper.h), or if you prefer,
helper functions.

Either way, a set of functions are defined to help manage statically
linked pipe drivers.  State trackers tend to do

#ifdef GALLIUM_STATIC_TARGETS
/* use inline_drm_helper.h */
#else
/* use pipe_loader.h */
#endif

IMHO, we should be able to define a single API, or a single set of
helper functions, to manage pipe drivers, no matter they are
statically linked or dynamically loaded.  Note that
inline_drm_helper.h is not stateless: dd_create_screen must be called
first to initialize a static variable.  It may even be possible to
extend pipe loader for the statically linked case.

>  * Allow people to use the unstable pipe-drivers if they are really
> short on size and know what they are doing.
>
>> The lack of such API previously led us to "targets", where each target
>> knows how to load a specific driver.  With your changes, state
>> trackers that need to work with pipe drivers have a way to do so.  As
>> a result, files such as
>>
>>   dri/target.c,
>>   xa/target.c,
>>   xvmc/target.c,
>>   vdpau/target.c, and
>>   omx/target.c
>>
>> become quite dummy and redundant.  Do you see a way to get rid of
>> "targets" entirely?
>>
> Indeed if/when an API comes around these targets may become redundant.
Well, with inline_drm_helper.h and the like, there is already
basically nothing in those target.c.  I do not even get why we need
those #include's in them :)  As things are right now, for most state
trackers (dri, gbm, omx, vdpau, xa, and xvmc), there is a matching
target, and the only things in the target are rules to build it.

I am not suggesting you should update the series to kill the targets.
As I said, I believe it takes a lot of time to get things to where
they are now, and I am fine to see any of this resolved later.

>> In the same view, and noticing that all users of the API have this snippet
>>
>> #if GALLIUM_STATIC_TARGETS
>>    scrn->base.pscreen = dd_create_screen(fd);
>> #else
>>    if (pipe_loader_drm_probe_fd(&scrn->base.dev, fd, true))
>>       scrn->base.pscreen = pipe_loader_create_screen(scrn->base.dev,
>> PIPE_SEARCH_DIR);
>> #endif // GALLIUM_STATIC_TARGETS
>>
>> I think it makes sense hide this difference behind the API. Another
> I'm not sure that is feasible, yet. Biggest obstacle is the
> pipe-loaders API, and mainly the software winsys' with their
> variation.
>
>> thing I noted is that the non-static path allows the user to auth the
>> fd while the static path doesn't.  It is not clear to me how come the
>> static path works.
>>
> Some of the targets do not need an auth as the loader (libGL,
> libEGL...) already does that. I have not extensively tested the
> pipe-loader paths but they seems to work with simple tasks - glxgears,
> mplayer(vpdau). It could be that we might need to drop the auth in
> some cases - to be sorted out once confirmed to be an issue.
>
>> On the other hand, the implementation of the API extends itself a bit
>> when DRI_TARGET is defined.  That is ugly from the API's point of
>> view.  Could that be abstracted somehow so that it can be used
>> elsewhere or at least looks nicer?
>>
>> Finally, the API is limited to C API (i.e., inline_{drm,sw}_helper.h).
>> At the build system level, we also like a way to easily manage a pipe
>> driver.  For example, we can see this snippet in many of the
>> Makefile.am
>>
>> if HAVE_GALLIUM_RADEONSI
>> STATIC_TARGET_CPPFLAGS += -DGALLIUM_RADEONSI
>> STATIC_TARGET_LIB_DEPS += \
>>         $(top_builddir)/src/gallium/drivers/radeonsi/libradeonsi.la \
>>         $(RADEON_LIBS)
>> endif
>>
>> If pipe drivers can be accompanies by some Makefile rules specifying
>> how it should be built, in addition to how it can be loaded, we can
>> get rid of those duplicated rules.
>>
> Thanks for giving the radeon as an example, it is the most complex one
> currently - three drivers, one common "driver" across r600 and
> radeonsi, and a single winsys that is used by all.
> I have tried merging all these into a single location, although
> presently we define HAVE_ST_VDPAU and HAVE_GALLIUM_R300, yet we do not
> want a libvdpau_r300. I believe that this is the biggest issue
> presently with the "split the rules into manageable and non-repetitive
> manner".
I picked HAVE_GALLIUM_RADEONSI randomly.  What I said applies for,
say, HAVE_GALLIUM_I915.

--
olv at LunarG.com