[Mesa-dev] OpenGL on Wayland

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Mon Jun 30 00:45:00 PDT 2014

On Friday, June 27, 2014 08:08:21 PM Kalrish Bäakjen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project that uses EGL and defers drawing to render
> modules. To maintain compatibility with Wayland and avoid being tied to X,
> I have chosen OpenGL ES 3. As it is difficult for me to find information
> about this API, I would rather use its desktop counterpart; however, as
> said, this would make it impossible to run my application on Wayland.
>
> What is the status of OpenGL on Wayland? Are there any plans on
> emancipating it from GLX?
>
> Thank you, and, please, forgive me if this message does not correspond to
> these lists. Regards,
> Kalrish

You can run desktop OpenGL on Wayland just fine.  As an example, Piglit/Waffle
contains hundreds of small OpenGL applications which at can run on
EGL/Wayland, EGL/X11, or GLX, and decide which to use purely at run-time.

libGL does contain GLX, so there are X build dependencies.  But that doesn't
mean your application is "tied to X".  X does not need to be running.

That said, it would be great if someone who knows dispatch would revisit the
new OpenGL ABI issue.  nVidia put together a great proposal for new separate
libOpenGL.so and libGLX.so libraries, and us Mesa folks have pretty much
dropped the ball. :(

--Ken