[Mesa-dev] intel, dma-buf import and egl image external

Pohjolainen, Topi topi.pohjolainen at intel.com
Fri Mar 7 06:13:47 PST 2014

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 01:19:48PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> There is a comment and two checks in the i965 dma-buf importer,
>
> * Images originating via EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import can be used only
> * with GL_OES_EGL_image_external only.
>
> however I can't find any reference to this in the spec txt, and
> removing the checks make my test app run fine using TEXTURE_2D.

You are correct that there is nothing in the spec about this, but it also leaves
it open for the driver to choose on which buffers it allows the external
sampling.
After quite a bit of debate on when/where it would be safe to use dma-buffers,
it was decided that we simply allow dma-buffers for external sampling only -
that extension already restricts the use for single-miplevel and read-only
which is exactly what we wanted.
The same time it wasn't clear what kind of sources we should allow for external
sampling (besides dma), and hence we simply kept things as they were before -
none other. Note that before the introduction of dma-buffers the image external
extension wasn't enabled at all on i965.