[Mesa-dev] Wrong colors in 3D apps on big-endian systems

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Mar 10 19:55:44 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 10:11 +0100, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> On 10.03.2014 02:49, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > Congratulations, you just broke llvmpipe again on big endian systems. ;)
> I'm sorry but Mesa classic works very well on Debian Sid and Lubuntu
> 14.04 with these changes. ;) Why does Mesa classic work with the
> little-endian defines?

What do you mean by 'Mesa classic'? The r600g driver works with the
little endian defines because r600g assumes st/mesa uses the formats the
way it did before the llvmpipe big endian fixes.

> > Did you even look at the commits introducing those defines? Did you
> > really think those defines, with explicit endianness checks, were
> > introduced for no reason but to break drivers on big endian systems?
> >

> > I explained the problem in r600g and how it could be solved. Please
> > explore that.
> I'll try to explore that but I don't have any knowledge about the Mesa
> source code. The Fedora guys have solved the problem with the patch
> "mesa-9.2-llvmpipe-on-big-endian.patch". What do you think of this patch?

It sounds like an older downstream attempt at fixing llvmpipe on big
endian hosts, which was superseded by the upstream fixes, which were
incidentally pushed by the 'Fedora guy' Adam Jackson. Adding him and
Richard Sandiford (the author of the fixes) to CC, maybe they can help
you fix up r600g.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer