[Mesa-dev] Z24S8 textures on nv04/nv10

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Thu Mar 13 03:43:19 PDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Francisco Jerez <currojerez at riseup.net> wrote:
> Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> Hi Francisco,
>>
>> I'm looking at some piglit failures on nv10... full run at
>>
>> http://people.freedesktop.org/~imirkin/nv10-comparison/problems.html
>>
>> The specific one is:
>>
>> http://people.freedesktop.org/~imirkin/nv10-comparison/nv18-imirkin/spec/!OpenGL%201.1/copyteximage%201D.html
>>
>> Which fails in nouveau_choose_tex_format for GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8. And
>> indeed, that case isn't handled. Looking through the #defines, I see a
>> NV20_3D_TEX_FORMAT_FORMAT_Z24 but not for the earlier versions. And
>> even in the nv20 case, it's not actually used in the driver.
>>
>> Does that mean that EXT_packed_depth_stencil should never have been
>> enabled on nouveau? I do see that it's a valid renderbuffer format
>> though. [It is now always enabled, since commit a92b9e60, but at the
>> time of the commit, it was also enabled for everything.
>>
>> Any advice?
>>

> AFAICT EXT_packed_depth_stencil only requires the implementation to
> support GL_DEPTH_STENCIL for texturing if ARB_depth_texture is supported
> in addition -- which, as you guessed correctly, could be supported on
> nv20 or higher.
>
> Shouldn't the piglit test be checking if the implementation supports
> depth texturing before doing that?

Mmmaybe. But that's not such a big deal -- worst case, the piglit
should get a gl error of some sort. Sounds like the real issue is that
mesa core is letting the values through to the driver. I'll re-read
EXT_packed_depth_stencil more carefully, I didn't see the
ARB_depth_texture dependency, but I only scanned it very quickly.

Thanks,

  -ilia