[Mesa-dev] Resetting Video card without rebooting?

Dorrington, Albert albert.dorrington at lmco.com
Mon Mar 17 08:36:37 PDT 2014

I'm curious if there is any way to reset/restart the video card via Mesa or the libdrm drivers?

I'm currently doing development against the OpenCL drivers, and getting the video card into a state where is will not respond.
The only way I can get things cleaned up is by rebooting my Linux box, but I would think there would be some way to 'kick' the video card and get it to reinitialize.

I'm running my Linux box headless, so I'm not worried about taking out the X display manager.

Al Dorrington
Software Engineer Sr
Lockheed Martin, Mission Systems and Training