[Mesa-dev] RFC: per-driver extension lists

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Thu Mar 27 18:05:12 PDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> * core extensions divided into groups based on the GL version
>
> It should be easy to group things however we want. I'm not
> sufficiently well-versed in what would be considered useful. If there
> are fixed lists of extensions that make sense together in groups,
> followed by all extensions that don't fall into those groups, I'm sure
> something can be worked out. I've already groupped ARB and EXT before
> the others, but more specific lists should be possible.
>
>> * real driver names like "radeonsi" instead of weird names like
>> "Gallium 0.4 on AMD SUMO"
>
> Not a fan of that either. I was thinking of hand-editing that to be
> something more useful like "nouveau GeForce 8, 9 series" or something.
> But it was just something quick & dirty that was available from
> glxinfo. Since I think these are going to be generated ~once per
> release, it's not that tall of an order to hand-edit the names to be
> something pretty.

Update: These two issues should be addressed. I've manually edited the
"driver name" to reflect the card generations, with some hopefully
semi-intelligent groupping, the headers should no longer overflow
either.

>From the semi-recent hardware categories, I'm still missing i965 Gen5
[Ironlake], Gen7 [Ivybridge], r600/r700 (which I was told were OK to
group into one), and NVA0 (G200) outputs of "glxinfo -l -s" for Mesa
10.1 -- if anyone can provide that, that would be very helpful. Not
sure how "old" it's worth going with hardware, e.g. does anyone care
what extensions are supported by nouveau_vieux on a Riva TNT2 (which I
just happen to have plugged into my system right now :) ), but feel
free to send me "glxinfo -l -s" output for hw that's not already
represented, I'd be happy to add it in.

As a reminder, the current list can be found at
http://people.freedesktop.org/~imirkin/glxinfo/glxinfo.html . Once
things settle down and I rework a couple of things in the impl, it can
be moved to a more permanent location.

Cheers,

  -ilia