[Mesa-dev] Guidance in dwelling in the world of GPU driver development.

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 31 10:14:57 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Leander Bessa Beernaert
<leanderbb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm interested in dwelling deeper in the world of GPU driver development  in
> my spare time. Since I'm a fan of OpenSource, Mesa3D sounded like a good
> place to start :).
>
> I have some experience using OpenGL from a programmers perspective, but
> would like to know more about the gritty details hiding behind an
> implementation.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to where to start
> (aside from the content posted on the main page)?
>
> I am currently using a Macbook Pro (nvidia 9400m and nvidia 9600m GT) with
> Ubuntu 13.10 alongside OS X. Is this machine enough to start poking around
> any of the current projects or should I wait and get a more recent OpenGL
> 4.3 capable machine?

If you're looking to specifically contribute to nouveau (nvidia
open-source drivers), you should take a look at
https://trello.com/b/ZudRDiTL/nouveau for some things we've identified
as todo's, and also join us in #nouveau on irc.freenode.net (the
channel can be quiet at times, so if no one's there, don't despair :)
).

  -ilia