[Mesa-dev] glsl: should uniform initializers be allowed in GLSL ES 3.00?

Aras Pranckevicius aras at unity3d.com
Wed May 14 23:08:44 PDT 2014

> While the GLSL ES 3.00 (.4) spec says (The GLSL ES 3.1 spec contains
> this wording too)
> > All uniform variables are read-only. They are initialized to 0 at link
> time and may be updated through the API.
> So I think we're correct in disallowing it.

Ok, fair enough. /me shakes fist at the list of "removed from 3.30" GLSL
spec section not mentioning it.

Chalk it up to another trivial divergence of ES in unexpected way.
> Ian, does it seem like we can make a really trivial extension that
> gives you back the wording in the Desktop GLSL spec? Are there other
> interactions we need to think about? There's already wording
> explicitly disallowing initializing samplers in a shader.

Probably not worth it then. Everyone will have to support "no initializers"
case for the foreseeable future if that's what all current implementations
do.

Thanks for the info!

--
Aras Pranckevičius