[Mesa-dev] Megaradeon

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu May 15 19:03:06 PDT 2014

On 15.05.2014 21:13, Emil Velikov wrote:

>> On 15.05.2014 10:58, Marek Olšák wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> Some distros seem to care about the size of Mesa, so I came up with
>>> this little patch.
>>>
>>> It puts r600g and radeonsi into r300_dri.so. The result is one shared
>>> library which contains all three drivers. Also, all driver loaders in
>>> Mesa should now always load the r300 driver instead of r600 and
>>> radeonsi.
>>>
>>> The radeon winsys is created first, which then creates the correct
>>> screen (r300, r600, or radeonsi) according to the PCI ID.
>>>
>>> The libGL loader has actually been ignoring the driver name from the X
>>> server for quite some time, so nothing needs to be done for this
>>> outside of Mesa.
>>>
>>> This is for *_dri.so only, the other targets are still separate and
>>> probably broken with this patch. (VDPAU, XvMC, egl-gallium, OpenCL?)
>>>
>>> What's missing:
>>> - do the same for the other targets/APIs
>>> - remove r600 and radeonsi targets and clean up the build system
>>>
>>> Original files without debugging symbols:
>>>   5.9MB r300_dri.so
>>>   6.5MB r600_dri.so
>>>   5.7MB radeonsi_dri.so
>>> Megaradeon:
>>>   7.0MB r300_dri.so (all 3 drivers)
>>>
>>> If somebody who cares about the size of Mesa wants to finish this up,
>>> the patch is attached. This is only a proof that it's not really
>>> difficult. What remains is mostly just build system work.
>>
>> FWIW, I think it would be cleaner to use a new name instead of reusing
>> any existing name.
>>

> FWIW currently only radeon drivers are split in such a way - freedreno and
> nouveau have been using such separation at winsys level as far back as I can
> remember.

r300 and r600 didn't share much if any code when they were classic Mesa
drivers.

> Any thoughts about backwards compatibility - old loader (libGL, libEGL etc.)
> and new r300_dri? Example: X/ddx requests r600_dri, whereas it does not exist.
>
> If the above is not a concern, then a nicer approach would be to rename the
> classic radeon to r100/radeon-vieux, and use radeon for the gallium driver
> (idea borrowed from nouveau). Otherwise we will need to create hardlink for
> each gallium driver.

Xorg has a loader as well, so I think there's no sane way around keeping
the existing names as links.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer