[Mesa-dev] Automated profiling with Phoronix Test Suite

Timothy Arceri t_arceri at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 17 22:13:50 PDT 2014

Hi All,

This is very much still a work in progress but I thought I'd post about
it here in case anyone is interested. I've been playing with OProfile
and PTS to add automated profiling to PTS.

The profiling module can be run by simply adding
'PTS_MODULES=automated_oprofile' to the front of a normal PTS test.
For example: 'PTS_MODULES=automated_oprofile ./phoronix-test-suite run
pts/nexuiz'

Once the test run is complete you can access the OProfile data as you
normally would.

Currently the module simply triggers a single test run and profiles the
entire run but I hope to (if I can find time) automate multiple
profiling bursts on parts of the test were cpu peaks and and also try to
do some fancy stuff with the OProfile output.

So far I've only tested my changes with nexuiz, if your interested the
code can be found here:
https://github.com/tarceri/phoronix-test-suite/tree/oprofile

I'm interested in what other think of this idea? Is this something you
would find useful?

Tim