[Mesa-dev] Move mesa version scheme to a more common style ?

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 08:17:40 PST 2014

On 14/11/14 15:24, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> This is an old question that I had laying around - why doesn't mesa use
>> a more conventional numbering for the development/rc releases ?
>>
>> Eg.
>> mesa 10.4.0-rc1 -> 10.3.99.901
>> mesa 10.4.0-rc2 -> 10.3.99.902
>> mesa 10.4.0     -> 10.4.0
>> mesa 10.4.1-rc1 -> 10.4.0.901
>> ... you get the idea.
>>
>> Afaics most freedesktop project use it plus a big hunk of gnome.
>>
>> Are there any objections if I move to the above format starting with
>> mesa 10.4-rc1 ? I would appreciate any feedback over the next 2-3 days,
>> and based on it I'll tag the first RC.
>
> Huh? What's wrong with the current thing? Can I put in an alternate
> suggestion of getting the other projects to switch to the mesa (and
> linux kernel and wine and many many many other projects) rc version
> naming scheme?

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I can think of any (apart from the
kernel and wine) that have a stable branch(es) and use rc. Can you
kindly point me to some or if you have some ideas of a search phrase
that would be appreciated.

I have the feeling that X related projects tend to exclusively use
proposed format, so I'm trying to keep mesa close/related to X,
non-alien and consistent.

Is that so much to ask for ?

-Emil