[Mesa-dev] How difficult would it be to have debugging information for Jitted code show up?

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Fri Nov 14 11:33:25 PST 2014

> And I find profiling information trailing from a perf-foo.map file that seems to correspond to JITted code.

Yep. That sounds like llmvpipe. See http://mesa3d.org/llvmpipe.html for details.

But note that have "source lines" for jit code is hard:
- Some of the LLVM IR we generate comes from TGSI which has no source line info.  We could have the info from the GLSL, but that has no source files. .
- Some of TGSI doesn't come from GLSL, but rather fixed function.
- Some of the LLVM IR doesn't even come from TGSI or any shaders, but  its bound state like depth-stencil test, or format conversion.  None of that IR has source files.  We could use the debug info from the C code that generates the LLVM IR that generates the .

In short, we could try to improve things a bit, but JIT code will always be quite different from static C code.

Jose