[Mesa-dev] EXT/ARB direct state access extensions

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Sun Nov 16 03:07:51 PST 2014

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 10:42:47 PM Gustaw Smolarczyk wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to ask what is the status of DSA (direct state access)
> extensions in mesa. If I understand correctly, there was a GSoC
> project by Dylan Noblesmith and there currently is a dsa branch in
> mesa repo, but it's not actively worked on at the moment. Is there any
> particular reason for not mainlining this other than there being not
> enough interest in it? Or was the code not ready for inclusion?
>
> Since the GL 4.5 includes the DSA extension, it would be nice to
> support it in mesa. It also provides an easier way to use OpenGL and
> could decrease API call count.
>
> Regards,
> Gustaw

Laura Ekstrand is currently working on implementing ARB_direct_state_access.
I suspect it'll be part of the 10.5 release.

Generally, people didn't seem too interested in supporting the older
EXT_direct_state_access extension, claiming it was a bit ill-defined, and were
generally unhappy with all the legacy interactions.  Everybody's on board for
the ARB version, but it looks a fair bit different than the older EXT one
that's partially implemented on the "dsa" branch.

--Ken