[Mesa-dev] Using the 'f' suffix to create a float from an integer literal

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Thu Nov 20 09:33:42 PST 2014

On 11/20/2014 05:33 AM, Neil Roberts wrote:
> For what it's worth, I did a quick grep through the internal and public
> shader-db and I couldn't find anything using this.
>
>  git grep -P '\b(?<!e[+-])(?<![.0-9])[0-9]+f\b'
>
> If AMD disallows it then it seems like it would be reasonably safe to
> disallow it in Mesa too.
>
> GCC disallows it too which could be an indication that people won't have
> a habit of using it.

So... the GLSL spec actually follows C?  Then we should definitely
follow the spec, and there's no need for a GLSL spec bug.  If AMD
disallows it, then there are not likely to be any applications that
depend on it... so I agree with Neil that we're safe to disallow it too.

I'm still curious about glslang... if glslang allows it, I'll file a bug
against glslang. :)